[Firebird-odbc-devel] Which ODBC-driver should I use
Peter Stalpers
2012-11-26 11:09:05 UTC

Can anyone tell me which ODBC-driver I can use for connecting a Firebird 1.5.6.5026 database to a SQL-2008 R2 server??

Regards,
Peter

Met vriendelijke groet,

Peter Stalpers

Stafmedewerker Informatisering Ziekenhuis Apotheek Midden-Brabant
Systeem/Netwerkbeheerder TweeSteden ziekenhuis
Tel. + 31 (0) 13 46 55 692
***@tsz.nl

=======================================================De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht (en bijlagen) is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n) en zij die van de geadresseerde(n) toestemming hebben dit bericht te lezen. Gebruik door anderen dan geadresseerde(n) is verboden. De informatie in dit e-mailbericht (en bijlagen) kan vertrouwelijk van aard zijn en kan binnen het bereik vallen van een geheimhoudingsplicht. Het TweeSteden ziekenhuis is niet aansprakelijk voor schade ten gevolge van het gebruik van elektronische middelen van communicatie, daaronder begrepen - maar niet beperkt tot - schade ten gevolge van niet aflevering of vertraging bij de aflevering van elektronische berichten, onderschepping of manipulatie van elektronische berichten door derden of door programmatuur/apparatuur gebruikt voor elektronische communicatie en overbrenging van virussen en andere kwaadaardige programmatuur.
André Knappstein
2012-11-26 16:17:35 UTC
The easy answer would be: none.
Why would you want to "attach" a Firebird database to a Microsoft SQL
Server? These are completely different systems!

You also can't put a DVD into an old style Floppy disk drive; or - if
you can - you will never be able to use the very same DVD again.

Suppose that this complete question is not a joke, what is it that you
are trying to do? Do you have a Firebird database and an application
that is reading from a MS SQL server and you want to integrate it?
Hi,
Peter Stalpers
2012-11-26 16:27:26 UTC
I just want to integrate Firebird-data into a SQL-dbase. I can use
SQL2005 or SQL2008. The department however has decided to buy and use
the firebird-application in spite of my comment. I prefer MS-SQL but I
have to work with Firebird.
Post by Peter Stalpers
Op Maandag 26 November 2012 om 17:17 is in bericht
<***@beta-eigenheim.de> door André Knappstein
<***@beta-eigenheim.de> geschreven:
The easy answer would be: none.
Why would you want to "attach" a Firebird database to a Microsoft SQL
Server? These are completely different systems!

You also can't put a DVD into an old style Floppy disk drive; or - if
you can - you will never be able to use the very same DVD again.

Suppose that this complete question is not a joke, what is it that you
are trying to do? Do you have a Firebird database and an application
that is reading from a MS SQL server and you want to integrate it?
Hi,

André Knappstein
2012-11-26 17:55:28 UTC
Firebird _is_ a SQL-dbase.

"Integration" in that common sense is not possible. MS SQL server will
not be able to "read" Firebird databases, like it won't read any other
database format.

You 're probably talking about the "management studio" or any other
GUI tool which will employ an ODBC driver. You can use the latest ODBC
driver from www.firebirdsql.org.

If you are very much in to using MS SQL, you probably should consider
using .net provider over ODBC driver.
Post by Peter Stalpers
Op Maandag 26 November 2012 om 17:17 is in bericht
The easy answer would be: none.
Why would you want to "attach" a Firebird database to a Microsoft SQL
Server? These are completely different systems!
You also can't put a DVD into an old style Floppy disk drive; or - if
you can - you will never be able to use the very same DVD again.
Suppose that this complete question is not a joke, what is it that you
are trying to do? Do you have a Firebird database and an application
that is reading from a MS SQL server and you want to integrate it?
Hi,
mariuz
2012-11-27 06:53:49 UTC
Post by André Knappstein
Firebird _is_ a SQL-dbase.
"Integration" in that common sense is not possible. MS SQL server will
not be able to "read" Firebird databases, like it won't read any other
database format.
You 're probably talking about the "management studio" or any other
GUI tool which will employ an ODBC driver. You can use the latest ODBC
driver from www.firebirdsql.org.
If you are very much in to using MS SQL, you probably should consider
using .net provider over ODBC driver.
Another option is to use linked server to firebird database
but the setup is complex , but doable i only send the steps , you need
to test and try yourself
http://forums.devshed.com/firebird-sql-development-61/linked-server-to-firebird-database-199627.html
Post by Peter Stalpers
Op Maandag 26 November 2012 om 17:17 is in bericht
The easy answer would be: none.
Why would you want to "attach" a Firebird database to a Microsoft SQL
Server? These are completely different systems!
You also can't put a DVD into an old style Floppy disk drive; or - if
you can - you will never be able to use the very same DVD again.
Suppose that this complete question is not a joke, what is it that you
are trying to do? Do you have a Firebird database and an application
that is reading from a MS SQL server and you want to integrate it?
Hi,
Kjell Rilbe
2012-11-27 08:22:54 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Den 2012-11-26 12:09 skrev Peter Stalpers s&aring;h&auml;r:<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
Can anyone tell me which ODBC-driver I can use for connecting a
Firebird 1.5.6.5026 database to a SQL-2008 R2 server??</blockquote>
Having read this thread with all replies, it's still a bit unclear
what you need to do. You wrote that "the department" has "decided to
buy and use the firebird-application". What does this mean?<br>
1. The department has bought an application for some purpose, and
this application onyl supports Firebird as its backend database?<br>
2. The department has "bought" Firebird and requires that you use it
as "the" database server for your work? In this case "bought" seems
odd considering Firebird is free.<br>
And what is your role in all of this? Is it SQL application
development, installation &amp; administration of a third-party
application with a Firebird backend, or what?<br>
And where does SQL Server 2008 R2 come into the picture apart from
being your preferred database server? (Why?)<br>
I rather do believe there would be somewhat different options
depending on all these factors.<br>
Regards,<br>
Kjell<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe
DataDIA AB
E-post: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:***@datadia.se">***@datadia.se</a>
Telefon: 08-761 06 55
Mobil: 0733-44 24 64
</pre>
Peter Stalpers
2012-11-27 12:27:37 UTC
1. The department bought an application for preparing pharmaceutical
medication and this application only supports Firebird as its backend
database.
2. The department also bought logistcal module and this application
only supports Progress as its backend database.
3. The department also bought an electronic prescription system and
this application only supports a SQL-2005/2008 database.

And at last I got the question to combine its data.
Op Dinsdag 27 November 2012 om 09:22 is in bericht
<***@datadia.se> door Kjell Rilbe
<***@datadia.se> geschreven:
Den 2012-11-26 12:09 skrev Peter Stalpers såhär:

Can anyone tell me which ODBC-driver I can use for connecting a
Firebird 1.5.6.5026 database to a SQL-2008 R2 server??
Having read this thread with all replies, it's still a bit unclear what
you need to do. You wrote that "the department" has "decided to buy and
use the firebird-application". What does this mean?

1. The department has bought an application for some purpose, and this
application onyl supports Firebird as its backend database?

2. The department has "bought" Firebird and requires that you use it as
"the" database server for your work? In this case "bought" seems odd
considering Firebird is free.

And what is your role in all of this? Is it SQL application
development, installation & administration of a third-party application
with a Firebird backend, or what?

And where does SQL Server 2008 R2 come into the picture apart from
being your preferred database server? (Why?)

I rather do believe there would be somewhat different options depending
on all these factors.

Regards,
Kjell
--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe

André Knappstein
2012-11-27 13:49:18 UTC
Post by Peter Stalpers
1. The department bought an application for preparing pharmaceutical
medication and this application only supports Firebird as its backend
database.
2. The department also bought logistcal module and this application
only supports Progress as its backend database.
3. The department also bought an electronic prescription system and
this application only supports a SQL-2005/2008 database.
And at last I got the question to combine its data.
Okay. I agree that it looks a bit weird, but probably the total of all
decisions still holds the most advantages for the entire enterprise
while it might hold downsides for some.

You should understand that from our point of view, using an
application with Firebird as backend is not the worst you can do ;-).

It's the most stable database even in chaotic environments and the
most easy to scale up and/or down that I ever encountered. It offers
the full range of SQL syntax and all types of connectivity.

"Combining" the data in your case is not as complicated as it looks.
But I would not necessarily use ODBC for it and so you probably should
direct further questions to another list.

You need to decide whether you want to just look at the data and
analyse it, or if you also want to edit data, probably in all three
applications and probably from only one application.

In the first case you can have a look at basically any reporting tool.

In the latter, personally, I'd try to use .net. to create a
cockpit to the databases. It uses abstraction for all types of
databases. Depending on the planned longevity of your project and its
size, you can either try to use a RAD approach (drag-drop data items
to forms) or go in much deeper and create a 3-tier-application with a
data layer of its own.

have fun!
André
Kjell Rilbe
2012-11-28 11:51:13 UTC
<head>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
</head>
Stalpers såhär:<br>
http-equiv="Content-Type">
pharmaceutical medication and this application only supports
Firebird as its backend database.</div>
application only supports Progress as its backend database.</div>
system and this application only supports a SQL-2005/2008
database.</div>
You saw it coming, didn't you? :-)<br>
So, what does "combine its data" actually mean?<br>
Pump data from one system to the other? All directions?<br>
Analysis and reporting, but not actually copying/moving any data
around?<br>
Copying/moving/pumping data from these three systems into a new
fourth system? And back? And what is the purpose of this fourth
system, in case it's relevant for us to suggest solutions?<br>
Maury Markowitz
2012-11-28 12:08:57 UTC
1. The department bought an application for preparing pharmaceutical medication and this application only supports Firebird as its backend database.
2. The department also bought logistcal module and this application only supports Progress as its backend database.
3. The department also bought an electronic prescription system and this application only supports a SQL-2005/2008 database.
And at last I got the question to combine its data.
This is the common case, not the uncommon one. ODBC is perfect for this, although as of late it has not seen the level of attention I think it deserves. I do find it somewhat amusing (ironic?) that this lack of attention stems primarily from MS, who basically invented it. They have shiny new data access methods to play with.

So, my suggestion is to use MS Access as your primary tool to attack this problem. Not in the normal sense of "how one should use Access", but strictly as a forms system and container for VBA. I find using VBA within Access to do ODBC considerably easier than any other tool, say VB or any of the .net languages. The only real downside to Access is that it tends to be rare in many enterprises, and it tends to crash - without data loss however.

Any similar tool will work just as well, and may be more easily redistributed. If such a thing exists, I haven't found it yet.

Maury