[Firebird-odbc-devel] Hi I need help Firebird ODBC drivers
Ing. Alfredo Jimenez
2010-10-01 15:09:27 UTC
Hi I need help
Use Visual Basic and I need to create a connection via ODBC to a firebird
database 2.1,
as I can do it?
Michael Möhle
2010-10-02 16:54:07 UTC
Hi Alfredo,

this way:

Dim conFirebird as string

conFirebird = "DRIVER={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver};" & _

"Uid=SYSDBA; " & _

"Pwd=YOURPASSWORD; " & _

"DIALECT=3;" & _

"DbName=IPorHOSTNAMEofYOURserver:C:\pathToYourDB\DBNAME.fdb"

Dim conDB as new ADODB.Connection

conDB.CursorLocation = adUseClient

conDB.Open conFirebird

DIALECT depends on your Database, newer ones should have DIALECT=3 older
ones coming from Interbase maybe have DIALECT=1

Br

Michael

2010-10-04 16:22:19 UTC
Thank you very much for the code, but not that I put in DbName

I get the following error:

*-2147217843*
*[ODBC Firebird Driver] Unable to complete network request to host
"IPorHOSTNAMEofYOURserver."
Failed to locate host machine.
The name specified was not found in the hosts file or Domain Name Services.*

This is the code I'm using

*Function connect ()
ConFirebird As String Dim
ConDB As ADODB.Connection Dim
On Error GoTo out

conFirebird = "DRIVER = (Firebird / InterBase (r) driver);" & _
"Uid = SYSDBA;" & _
"Pwd = masterkey;" & _
"DIALECT = 3;" & _
"Dbname = IPorHOSTNAMEofYOURserver: \ \ PCDC02 \ Data \
DBNAME.FDB"

September conDB = New ADODB.Connection

conDB.CursorLocation = adUseClient
conFirebird conDB.Open
Exit Function
Output:
MsgBox Err.Description
Hi Alfredo,
Michael Möhle
2010-10-04 18:48:51 UTC
Maybe it helps if you replace “IP or HOSTNAME of YOUR server” with your
values! Its either the IP or the hostname of the server ;-)))

http://p.sf.net/sfu/novell-sfdev2dev