[Firebird-odbc-devel] Accessing Firebird using ODBC from Python
Sidney Cadot
2011-11-01 10:34:49 UTC
Hello,

I am trying to get the Firebird/ODBC link to work via pyodbc (v2.1.7)
and unixodbc (v2.2.14), under linux (amd64).

I am using "libOdbcFb.so" that I extracted from
OdbcFb-LIB-2.0.0151.amd64.tar.gz, as provided on the Firebird ODBC
download page from SourceForge. It is possible for me to connect the
remote Firebird server using the unixodbc-provided "isql" program, and
do queries, so I know the ODBC link can work properly.

However, when I try to contact the database from python using pyodbc,
things start to go awry:

import pyodbc
conn = pyodbc.connect("dbname=remote:/the/db/name.fdb;user=XXX;password=YYY;driver=Firebird")
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./get_db_info.py", line 81, in <module>
dbConnection = pyodbc.connect(dsn)
pyodbc.Error: ('H', '[H] [unixODBC][ (0) (SQLDriverConnectW)')

I tried to supply the "ansi = True" option to pyodbc.connect(), but
the result is even less encouraging; it yields a segmentation fault.

It is noted that I am able to use pyodbc to connect to other databases
(SQL server, mysql; postgresql).

Does anybody have ideas what may be going wrong here? Any suggestions
on what to try next?

Sidney
Werner F. Bruhin
2011-11-01 10:57:38 UTC
Sidney,
Post by Sidney Cadot
Hello,
I am trying to get the Firebird/ODBC link to work via pyodbc (v2.1.7)
and unixodbc (v2.2.14), under linux (amd64).
Can't help with your real problem, but I am curios why you are going
down the ODBC route instead of using native drivers.
Post by Sidney Cadot
It is noted that I am able to use pyodbc to connect to other databases
(SQL server, mysql; postgresql).
Have you looked at SQLalchemy and using the native drivers to connect to
this different db's?

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/

Werner
Sidney Cadot
2011-11-01 12:38:56 UTC
Hi Werner,
Post by Werner F. Bruhin
Have you looked at SQLalchemy and using the native drivers to connect to
this different db's?
Not really. I would prefer to use ODBC at this time, although
SQLAlchemy is on my list of things to investigate. For now, I'd like
to get a fix for my ODBC problem.