[Firebird-odbc-devel] Connect IBProvider in VB
Bart Smissaert
2011-03-05 10:22:42 UTC
I know this is somewhat off-topic, but maybe somebody could tell me
where to get clear instructions how to connect to
Firebird (1.5) with IBProvider in VB, using ADO. I am trying to test
out the free version to see if it might be faster than the
IB Phoenix ODBC driver, but sofar I have been unable to connect.
I copied cc3250mt.dll and _IBProvider_x3_free_i.dll to
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ and did a Regsvr32 on the last file.
I have tried various connection strings similar and with all kind of
variations to this one:

Provider=LCPI.IBProvider.3;
Data Source=localhost:C:\\DB\S6.FDB;
User id=UN;
password=PW;
ctype=win1251;
auto_commit=true

But sofar no success at all.
I am sure there must be something simple I am doing wrong, but I can't see it.

RBS
Peter Gore
2011-03-05 10:30:05 UTC
Why the double backslash in the Data source?

I use IBProvider and find it great. I use Delphi myself and here is a
typical connection string

Provider=LCPI.IBProvider.2;Password=MYPASSWORD;Persist Security
Info=True;User ID=MYUSER;Data
Source=MyFBData;Location=MyServer:d:\data\fbdata\myfbdata.fdb;ctype=WIN1252;
garbage_collect=True;dialect=3;auto_commit=True;auto_commit_level=65536;bicu
rsor=False;free_threading=True;array_vt_type=True;inner_trans=True;truncate_
char=True;schema_cache=1;support_odbc_query=False;force_prepare_stmt=False;u
nicode_mode=True;unicode_stmt=True;std_exec_sp=True;clear_param_info=True;au
to_param_describe=True;force_param_describe=True;named_param_prefix=:;ignore
_unprepare=True;exec_sp_named_param=False;odbc_call_sp=0;auto_commit_ddl=0;a
uto_commit_ddl_level=4096;query_pool_size=8;auto_insert_field_rule=0;auto_up
date_field_rule=0;modify_trans_type=0;modify_trans_level=65536

Hope this helps

Regards
peter

database 5927 (20110304) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 5927 (20110304) __________

http://www.eset.com
Bart Smissaert
2011-03-05 11:13:00 UTC
Thanks, I figured this out now.
I connected from a string in a text file and that had linebreaks.
I thought these linebreaks were dealt with in my code, but they
weren't and clearing these
linebreaks sorted it out and I can connect fine now.
Will have a look at your connection string. Did you find that you
needed all those extra parameters or did you find they were
beneficial?

Do you find that IBProvider is faster than the IB Phoenix ODBC driver?

RBS

Peter Gore
2011-03-05 11:18:29 UTC
The parameters you selected are the key ones and will certainly suffice for
your evaluation.

http://www.eset.com
Bart Smissaert
2011-03-05 11:29:32 UTC
OK, thanks.
How did you find IBProvider compared to the ODBC driver?

RBS

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Peter Gore
Post by Peter Gore
[...]
signature
Post by Peter Gore
database 5927 (20110304) __________
http://www.eset.com
signature
Post by Peter Gore
database 5927 (20110304) __________
http://www.eset.com
http://www.eset.com
database 5927 (20110304) __________
http://www.eset.com
Peter Gore
2011-03-06 07:05:05 UTC
Haven't really used ODBC much. All I can say is that IBProvider "does what
it says on the tin".
regards

[...]
Post by Peter Gore
Post by Peter Gore
signature
Post by Peter Gore
database 5927 (20110304) __________
http://www.eset.com
signature
Post by Peter Gore
database 5927 (20110304) __________
http://www.eset.com
Post by Peter Gore
--
Post by Peter Gore
http://www.eset.com
database 5927 (20110304) __________
http://www.eset.com

database 5927 (20110304) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 5927 (20110304) __________

http://www.eset.com

database 5929 (20110305) __________

http://www.eset.com
Bart Smissaert
2011-03-06 09:24:53 UTC
Have done a bit of testing and found that IBProvider was about a third
slower than
the ODBC driver. Will have a go now with fbdll4vb, which is a VB dll
based on the
IBPP Library. If anybody on this list has experience with that then I
would be very
interested.

RBS

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Peter Gore
[...]
Post by Peter Gore
Post by Peter Gore
it.
RBS