[Firebird-odbc-devel] Intermittent connection problems
Kjell Rilbe
2012-01-20 07:57:46 UTC

I have a Win 2008 web server, 64 bit. On this system I have FB 2.1 64
bit installed and a couple of sites that connect to those databases over
ODBC from old-style ASP (not ASP.Net) using ADO objects in VBscript.

I have configured system ODBC datasources for this purpose.

It all usually works flawlessly, but on occasion, for no apparent
reason, suddenly the db connections start failing.

It seems to be related to the ODBC driver because in this "failing state":

1. I can still connect using FlameRobin and the databaes have no
validation errors.

2. If I bring up the ODBC system datasource and hit "Test connection" it
fails. Also the services that can be executed from the ODBC driver
settings dialog (backup, restore, stats etc) also fail with connection
error.

The error I get when trying to connect from the ODBC driver services
dialog is this:
sqlcode -904, fbcode 335544792 - Cannot attach to services manager.

And from "Test connection" in the data source:
Open database 'C:\.....\...fdb' failed

A system reboot always resolves the problem, but rebooting a web server
is not very desirable. So:

1. Any ideas what might be causing this?

2. Any ideas how I can stop it from happening?

3. Anything I can do to get more info that might help locate the error
in the driver, if there is such an error? E.g. trace/log mode, status
reports from the driver, ...?

4. Is there any way I can reload just the driver without having to
reboot the entire computer?

Thanks,
Kjell
--
--------------------------------------
Kjell Rilbe
Mobil: 0733-44 24 64
Kjell Rilbe

Mobil: 0733-44 24 64
Kovács Péter
2012-01-23 13:08:59 UTC

I 'm using ODBC driver (2.0.0.151) 64 bit + FirebirdSQL (2.5.1) 64 bit with IIS 7.5 and ASP Classic.
I use connection string in the global.asa and I have no problem with it.

My Connection string:

Application("Mappath") = "C:\inetpub\wwwroot\myprogram"
Application("DataStore") = Application("Mappath") & "\Datastore\"
Application("dbalias")="xyz"
Application("db") = "Driver={Firebird/InterBase(r) driver};dbname=localhost:"&_
Application("DataStore")&Application("dbalias")&".fdb;charset=WIN1250;uid=USERNAME;password=pwd"

Kovács Péter
***@klcomp.hu