[Firebird-odbc-devel] Is it possible to use and ODBC driver without installating it?
W O
2011-07-10 19:55:11 UTC
Hello everybody

I want to make an application portable, so the user just plug the pen-drive
and the application works.

But my application needs an ODBC driver.

It would be possible to use the ODBC driver without the user installing it?

Thanks in advance.

Walter.
Alexander Potapchenko
2011-07-10 21:29:08 UTC
Post by W O
Hello everybody
I want to make an application portable, so the user just plug the
pen-drive and the application works.
But my application needs an ODBC driver.
It would be possible to use the ODBC driver without the user
installing it?
Hi,

You can store the Firebird ODBC driver files(OdbcFb.dll, OdbcFb.chm)
together with your application, but the driver registration in system is
required.
Command - regsvr32.exe /s {dir}\OdbcFb.dll

Regards,
--
Alexander Potapchenko
Lead developer
LASP technology, http://www.lasptech.ru
W O
2011-07-11 01:08:31 UTC
Ok, excellent, I can do the registration without user's intervention.

Thank you.

Walter.

Nikolay Samofatov
2011-07-11 09:29:36 UTC
It is possible to use driver without registration. In fact we helped implement "Flash Start" edition
for one program.

One way to do this is to load driver directly, without using driver manager.
Another way is to use special "proxy" DLL which transparently replaces ODBC driver manager.
Post by W O
Hello everybody
I want to make an application portable, so the user just plug the pen-drive and the application works.
But my application needs an ODBC driver.
It would be possible to use the ODBC driver without the user installing it?
Thanks in advance.
Walter.
Nikolay Samofatov, MBA
Red Soft Corporation
+7 495 668 3735
W O
2011-07-11 10:21:22 UTC
Thank you very much Nikolay.

I believe that I had achieved that, later I'll try with another computer,
one that never had Firebird neither ODBC installed.

If I get good results then I'll share my findings.

Walter.

**
http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2d-c2