[Firebird-odbc-devel] ODBC / Excel
Arie van den Bos
2010-04-28 10:49:37 UTC
Dear Team,

I have a client which is requesting to connect excel via ODBC to Firebird database. So far no problem.
I have configured all required DSN and ODBC settings so that connections is established and excel is able to read the database.
The only problem which occurs is that some primary key columns have empty cells (not <Null> but simply empty).
Excel seems to have a problem in interpreting those and replaces some empty fields with scrap values made out of "neighbors cells".
Do you have any idea how to tackle this?

General Information:
ODBC Driver: Firebird/Interbase driver Version: 2.00.00.148 from IBPhoenix Inc (ODBCFB.dll) as of 18.11.2008
Dialect: 1

Your support is highly appreciated

ATB

Arie
André Knappstein, Controlling
2010-04-28 11:36:23 UTC
Yes! Of course you can't trust the consistency of databases which have
non-unique values in primary key fields.

You should fix the cause, not the symptom.

~~~Ihre Nachricht~~~

AvdB> Dear Team,

AvdB> I have a client which is requesting to connect excel via ODBC
AvdB> to Firebird database. So far no problem.
AvdB> I have configured all required DSN and ODBC settings so that
AvdB> connections is established and excel is able to read the database.
AvdB> The only problem which occurs is that some primary key columns
AvdB> have empty cells (not <Null> but simply empty).
AvdB> Excel seems to have a problem in interpreting those and
AvdB> replaces some empty fields with scrap values made out of "neighbors cells".
AvdB> Do you have any idea how to tackle this?

AvdB> General Information:
AvdB> ODBC Driver: Firebird/Interbase driver Version: 2.00.00.148
AvdB> from IBPhoenix Inc (ODBCFB.dll) as of 18.11.2008
AvdB> Dialect: 1

AvdB> Your support is highly appreciated

AvdB> ATB

AvdB> Arie

---
Arie van den Bos
2010-04-28 11:49:38 UTC
Dear André,

First of all thanks for your reply.

You are absolutely true. Despite I should have maybe extended my request by the fact that I have three primary key columns which depend on each other. Hence in the sum each line is unique. To underline my problem please consider following example table:

Database:

PrimarKey_1_Name

PrimarKey_2_Object

PrimarKey_3_Typ

Jan1

123/10

Jan1

Jan1

124/10

Excel Outcome:

PrimarKey_1_Name

PrimarKey_2_Object

PrimarKey_3_Typ

Jan1

123/10

Jan1

12!?!?!/§%&

Jan1

124/10

Kind Regards

Arie van den Bos

(Logistics Manager)

Ph.: +49 2102 99697-18

Fax: +49 2102 99697-10

www.iteco-supply.com

ITECO Oilfield Supply GmbH

Corresponding Address: An der Pönt 62a, 40885 Ratingen, Germany

Place of Administration: Beethovenstr. 2a, 41462 Neuss

Bart Duijndam - Venue: Neuss, HRB8794