[Firebird-odbc-devel] Connection lost
Gerardo Czajkowski
2004-06-23 23:46:01 UTC
I don't know if this is an ODBC driver or FB issue, but here it is: My
application inits and successfully connects to FB server, and after a
few trannsactions connection is lost and reconnection attempts randomly
work.

This is the error message I get:
******** Error Message:
Error Nº: 1526
Message: Connectivity Error: Unable to complete network request to host
"MYSERVER".
Failed to establish a connection.
unknown Win32 error 10055

ODBC - Message: Unable to complete network request to host "MYSERVER".
Failed to establish a connection.
unknown Win32 error 10055
ODBC - SQL Status: 08004
ODBC - Error Nº: 0
ODBC - Connection Nº: 44
Extra:
Line Nº: 171
******* Message ends

Environment info:
OS: Base Win98se, also tried on another machine with all
existent patches installed and latest MDAC
FB server: 1.5 build 4306
ODBC driver: 1.02.00.67
Application made with VisualFoxPro 8 sp1.
connstring = "DRIVER=Firebird/Interbase(r) driver"
+ ";UID=myuser"
+ ";PWD=mypassword"
+ ";DBNAME=MYSERVER"
+ ":C:\mypath\mybase.fdb"
+ ";DIALECT=3"
+ ";CHARSET=ISO8859_1"

I know there's not a VFP issue because the same app is prepared to work
indifferently with either M$$QL and Firebird, and using M$$QL this
doesn't happen.
This only occurs if application/FB server are installed on a Win98
machine, on W2k all work perfectly.

If this can be solved, great! If not it seems that my customer will ave
to upgrade their server ;-)

Thanks in advance,

Gerardo
Gerardo Czajkowski
2004-06-24 02:42:03 UTC
Post by Gerardo Czajkowski
If this can be solved, great! If not it seems that my customer will ave
to upgrade their server ;-)
Well, I solved my problem. Lurking on the brand new help file (great
work guys!) I found that it's not necessary to include 'SERVER:' at
DBNAME option. I removed it and problem solved!

I still have to test a win98 server - win98 terminal schema... (I have
one win98 and one w2k machine here)

A note apart: VFP has SQLCONNECT functions that allow to manage
transactions manually or automatically. I always used AUTO mode on MSSQL
without any problem but with FB I had to manually commit/rollback
transactions because if not FB server crashes when closing my app. This
even improved my app performance! Any thoughts?

Regards,
Gerardo
Vladimir Tsvigun
2004-06-24 11:52:09 UTC
Hello,
Post by Gerardo Czajkowski
Well, I solved my problem. Lurking on the brand new help file (great
work guys!) I found that it's not necessary to include 'SERVER:' at
Thanks!
Post by Gerardo Czajkowski
A note apart: VFP has SQLCONNECT functions that allow to manage
transactions manually or automatically. I always used AUTO mode on MSSQL
without any problem but with FB I had to manually commit/rollback
transactions because if not FB server crashes when closing my app. This
even improved my app performance! Any thoughts?
Sorry, I not absolutely have understood a question.

See from HELP VFP
=============
SQLSETPROP( ) Function
=============
Transactions Contains a numeric value that determines how the connection
manages transactions on the remote table. Transactions may assume the
following values:
1 or DB_TRANSAUTO (from FOXPRO.H).
1 is the default. Transaction processing for the remote table is
automatically handled.

2 or DB_TRANSMANUAL (from FOXPRO.H). Transaction processing is handled
manually through SQLCOMMIT( ) and SQLROLLBACK( ).
=============

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Tsvigun
Gerardo Czajkowski
2004-06-24 15:13:04 UTC
Post by Vladimir Tsvigun
See from HELP VFP
=============
SQLSETPROP( ) Function
=============
Transactions Contains a numeric value that determines how the connection
manages transactions on the remote table. Transactions may assume the
1 or DB_TRANSAUTO (from FOXPRO.H).
1 is the default. Transaction processing for the remote table is
automatically handled.
2 or DB_TRANSMANUAL (from FOXPRO.H). Transaction processing is handled
manually through SQLCOMMIT( ) and SQLROLLBACK( ).
=============
I always used SQLSETPROP(0, DB_TRANSAUTO), that means automatic
transactions managment for all connections. With SQLServer this works
perfect but with Firebird it seems that transactions ARE commited
(changes appear for other active connections) but something somehow
remains active and after a few operations if I close my app it crashes
FB sever. I solved this by including either SQLCOMMIT( ) or SQLROLLBACK(
) after each SQLEXEC( ) even though my app is using SQLSETPROP(0,
DB_TRANSAUTO).
When I say that automatic transactions are commited is because I tried
something like this :

In VFP: SQLEXEC(connhandle, "INSERT INTO Customers (Name) VALUES
('SomeCustomer'))
and then switch to, for example, IBExpert and issue a
SELECT * FROM Customers
I see the new record, but if I make several INSERTs without issuing
SQLCOMMIT(connhandle) afterwards, although SQLSETPROP(0, DB_TRANSAUTO),
when the application closes FB crashes.
Better than this I think I can´t explain.

Regards,
Gerardo
Vladimir Tsvigun
2004-06-25 07:56:06 UTC
Hi Gerardo,
Post by Gerardo Czajkowski
I see the new record, but if I make several INSERTs without issuing
SQLCOMMIT(connhandle) afterwards, although SQLSETPROP(0, DB_TRANSAUTO),
when the application closes FB crashes.
Better than this I think I canŽt explain.
Very interestingly!
You can write the small test for
generation of this mistake?

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Tsvigun
Gerardo Czajkowski
2004-06-25 13:32:06 UTC
Post by Vladimir Tsvigun
Very interestingly!
You can write the small test for
generation of this mistake?
No problem, I can send you the sources. Do you have VFP8?

Regards,

Gerardo
Vladimir Tsvigun
2004-06-25 15:37:13 UTC
Hello,
Post by Gerardo Czajkowski
No problem, I can send you the sources. Do you have VFP8?
I have VFP6
Please, and small the instruction
I am not able to write the programs on VFP :-)

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Tsvigun
Gerardo Czajkowski
2004-06-25 23:58:07 UTC
Post by Vladimir Tsvigun
I have VFP6
Please, and small the instruction
I am not able to write the programs on VFP :-)
The differences beetween version 6 an 8 are too many to compare, and
alas, I can't reproduce the crash anymore!
The only thing I also changed was the install of your latest ODBC
driver, so it seems that you already solved the problem.

So, thank you anyway and sorry to bother...

Regards, Gerardo

PS: If you ever plan to release the driver in different languages sign
me in to make the spanish version, it´s the least I can do to contribute.
Vladimir Tsvigun
2004-06-28 12:59:04 UTC
Hi, Gerardo!
Post by Gerardo Czajkowski
PS: If you ever plan to release the driver in different languages sign
me in to make the spanish version, itŽs the least I can do to contribute.
Thank you very much!

See files from
OdbcJdbc\Install\HtmlHelp\html

On CVS the folder HtmlHelp.spanish will be added.

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Tsvigun
Jorge Andrés Brugger
2004-06-29 14:01:50 UTC
If you wish, I can help too with the spanish documentation.
Just for curiosity: Gerardo, where are you from?
Post by Vladimir Tsvigun
Hi, Gerardo!
Post by Gerardo Czajkowski
PS: If you ever plan to release the driver in different languages sign
me in to make the spanish version, itŽs the least I can do to contribute.
Thank you very much!
See files from
OdbcJdbc\Install\HtmlHelp\html
On CVS the folder HtmlHelp.spanish will be added.
--
Best regards,
Vladimir Tsvigun
Jorge Andrés Brugger
DASU - Obra Social del Personal de la Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia
Comodoro Rivadavia, Chubut, Argentina
Correo electrónico: ***@dasu.com.ar
Website: www.dasu.com.ar
Gerardo Czajkowski
2004-06-29 21:52:03 UTC
Hi Jorge!

I'm from Posadas, Misiones.
Alexandre Benson Smith
2004-06-30 17:43:02 UTC
Post by Jorge Andrés Brugger
If you wish, I can help too with the spanish documentation.
Just for curiosity: Gerardo, where are you from?
--
Jorge Andrés Brugger
DASU - Obra Social del Personal de la Universidad Nacional de la Patagonia
Comodoro Rivadavia, Chubut, Argentina
Website: www.dasu.com.ar
Hi All,

I can translate to Portuguese...

Once again...

Thank you Vladimir for the great work, and congratulations for the up
comming release version....

see you !
--
Alexandre Benson Smith
Development
www.thorsoftware.com.br
Vladimir Tsvigun
2004-07-01 08:54:04 UTC
Hi, Alexandre!
Post by Alexandre Benson Smith
I can translate to Portuguese...
Very well!
Thanks!

See files from
OdbcJdbc\Install\HtmlHelp\html

Send me translate file.
On CVS the folder HtmlHelp.portuguese will be added.

PS:
Replase on file About.htm
---<P><B>OdbcJdbc.hlp</B></P>
+++<P><B>OdbcJdbc.chm</B></P>